For $30, Police Officer Quincy Smith had made a purchase that, not knowing at the time, would help put away the man who tried to murder him. Smith was wearing camera glasses when 29-year-old Malcolm Antwan Orr suddenly opened fire on him at point blank range, firing eight bullets at the officer on December 31, 2016, in Estill, South Carolina.

Caught on camera

Thanks to those glasses Quincy bought for himself on Amazon, Quincy caught every moment of the exchange on camera. Footage from that recorded encounter, little did he know at the time, would become the primary evidence used against the guilty Orr in court.

Earlier that day, Charles Party Shop had contacted local police, reporting that a man that turned out to be Orr, was, stealing from them and walking away.

That’s when Officer Smith was dispatched and responded after seeing the suspicious suspect, Orr, walking nonchalantly down the street. Smith stopped Orr because he fit the description of the suspect that had been given him.

He ignored repeated commands to stop.

But when Smith pulled his squad car just short of Orr and exited his vehicle, Orr refused the officer’s repeated command to stop and remove his hands from his pockets. He ignored the officer, walking away while appearing to be talking on his cell phone.

The Officer took six bullets at point blank range.

As Smith came closer in proximity to Orr, he kept repeating his command to stop and pulled his weapon out, for obvious reasons. When he threatened to tase him if did not stop, Orr pulled out his own pistol and fired directly at Smith eight consecutive times. Of those eight fired shots, all hit Officer Smith except for two of them.

Officer Smith desperately called for help.


At that point, Smith fell to the ground, yelling through his attached radio for medical help and backup.

He managed to get to his feet and return to his vehicle while continuing to report to his dispatcher that he had been shot.

When you listen to the video (below), you’ll hear Smith speaking from his vehicle while audibly losing his strength rapidly. The last words Officer Smith said before the camera shuts off were, “Dispatch, please tell my family I love them.”

Owning up.

Miraculously, Smith survived.

Smith had broken bones in both arms, taken a shot to his upper torso, had another bullet lodged in his back, and sustained a “life threatening” neck injury, the jury was told. Two of the eight rounds were fired at Smith as he lay on the ground.

“If but not for the grace of God and some very good doctors, this would not only have been a murder case but a death penalty case,” Duffie Stone, the 14th Solicitor, stated in a press release.

Guilty as charged.

Orr was subsequently charged and convicted of attempted murder and possession of a weapon during commission of a violent crime, according to the Charlotte Observer.

Sentenced to 35 years in prison, Orr will have plenty of time to ponder what led to his decision to try to take the life of a good man. Which, by the way, he did not. Smith survived.